Johann Heinrich Dinges was born 30 March 1744 in Niedergründau. His parents were Heinrich Tonges and Anna Margaretha Ruhn. Johann Heinrich married Maria Elisabeth Scharch on 30 January 1766 in Hirzenhain. Maria Elisabeth was baptized in Hirzenhain 30 June 1746, the daughter of Johann Georg Scharch. About six months later, they emigrated to Russia, and are named as passengers on the English Frigate “Love and Unite” from Lubeck, arriving in Oranienbaum, Russia on 4 July 1766. They arrived in Moor eleven months later on 18 June 1767. The family is recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 60.
Johann Heinrich's younger brother Johann Georg (born 12 Jun 1747) and their mother Anna Margaretha (born about 1708) are listed with the surname "Tenius?" in Household No. 64 on the Moor 1767 census. An older brother, Johannes (born 9 October 1735) and his wife Louisa, along with their infant son Ernst Heinrich, are listed as living in Norka on the 1767 census in Household No. 164. Johannes, Louisa, Johann Georg, and Anna Margaretha arrived together in Russia on 8 August 1766 and are listed on the passenger list under the name "Tenges?".
Heinrich Dinges and Anna Elisabeth Scharch are still living in Moor on the 1798 Census in Household No. 2. Johann George Dinges has relocated to Norka and is reported there on the 1798 Census in Household No. 101. Johannes Dinges and Louisa Kern are still living in Norka are are reported there on the 1798 Census in Household No. 181.
- Parish records of Hizenhain (Dekanat Nidda) on Archion.de
- Parish records of Grundau on Archion.de
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010) pp. 124 and 272
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institute, 2005): pp. 171, 172, and 273
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Volume 1, pp. 725, 774, and 786.