Johann Martin Guttmann was born 17 March 1740 in Veitenhof (near Gersfeld) to Johannes Guttmann & Dorothea Heun. This Guttman lineage goes back to Peter Guttman, son of Lips K Löps Gutmann who married on 30 Jan 1616 in Gersfeld Anna Dietich, daughter of Claus Dietrich. Johann Martin Guttman married Margaretha Heun in Büdingen on 12 May 1766. He and Margaretha arrived in Russia on 14 Sep 1766. The Transport Lists indicate that they had one child named Johannes, and that both Margaretha and Johannes died enroute. By the time of settlement in Frank, he is married to Amalia Kammerzell (born 3 November 1747 in Maiersbach). They arrived in Frank on 1 September 1767 and they and their newborn son Johann Heinrich are recorded in Household No. 112 on the 1767 Census of Frank .
- Parish records of Gersfeld
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 406.
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): A-63.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 438.
- Pleve, Igor. Gutmann Chart.