Valentin Hoffman was baptized on 2 August 1730 in Käfertal. He married Maria Barbara Botsch on 8 January 1754 in Feudenheim. Maria Barbara was the daughter of Johann Georg and Eva Barbara Botsch, and was baptized 10 June 1733 in Feudenheim. Valentin and Maria Barbara had two children in Käfertal: Margaretha, baptized 19 May 1759; and Anna Catharina, baptized 8 September 1760.
The family emigrated to Denmark in 1762, arriving in the same transport group as a number of other families who eventually settled in Balzer, many of whom came from the same area near Mannheim. While in the Danish colonies they had two additional children: Regina Barbara, baptized 6 February 1763 in Hurup, Denmark; and Susanna Catharina Elisabeth, baptized 10 March 1765, in Wanderup, Denmark.
In 1765 they left the Danish colonies and migrated to Russia. They are reported on the Balzer First Settler's List in household #20.
- Parish records of Mannheim-Käfertal on Archion.de
- Parish records of Mannheim-Feudenheim on Archion.de
- Kreutzer, Rudolf. Ortsfamilienbuch Feudenheim 1650-1900 (Mannheim, Germany: Waldkirch Verlag, 2008)
- Eichhorn, Alexander; Eichhorn Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): pp. 295, 451, & 661.
- Danish parish record extractions by Wayne Bonner and Mike Meisinger
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): pp. 77.