Johannes Schilling, son of Christoph Schilling and Maria Barbara Haas, was baptized on 11 July 1720 in Stetten am Heuchelberg. He and his wife Magdalena (surname unknown) had eight children, all baptized in Niederhofen: Eva Barbara, born 16 March, baptized 17 March 1746, confirmed in 1760; Christina Margaretha, baptized 8 April 1748, confirmed in 1761; Johannes, born 21 July, baptized 22 July 1751; Johannes, born 10 February, baptized 11 February 1753 (died 13 January 1757); Marie Agnes, born and baptized 2 February 1755; Dorothea, born 14 October, baptized 15 October 1756; Magdalena, born 25 June, baptized 26 June 1758; and Elisabetha, born and baptized 20 April 1760 (died 5 May 1760).
Johannes, his wife, five children, and Elisabeth Merger (described as their maid) emigrated to Denmark, departing from Altona on 2 Jun 1761 and arriving in Schleswig on 6 June 1761. By the time of their arrival in the Danish colonies, they have another child, a son named Johann Friedrich. They settled in the colony "Friderichshoi" and were last reported in Denmark on 26 April 1763.
The family then emigrated to Russia, settling in the colony of Schilling. The following family members are reported on the Schilling 1775 Census in Household #30: Johannes age 55, Eva Magdalena age 48, son Friedrich age 13-1/2, daughters Maria Agnes age 20, Dorothea Sophia age 18, Magdalena age 16, and Maria Elisabeta age 10.
Eva Barbara Schilling is reported in the 1798 Census of Schilling in Household #18, Johann Friedrich is in Household #31, Christina Margaretha is in Household #33, and Maria Agnes is in Household #98.
- Parish records of Stetten am Heuchelberg on Archion.de
- Parish records of Niederhofen (Dekanat Brackenheim) on Archion.de
- Family Search Indexes of Stetten and Niederhofen parish records
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012). pp. 265, 519, 581, 686
- 1775 Census of Schilling
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Volume 2, pp. 891, 893, 894, 902