Wendel Engel, son of Johann Engel, and Anna Catharina Reifschneider, daughter of Johannes Reifschnider, were married in Leisenwald on 20 April 1752. The Spielberg parish records report baptisms for four children: Johannes, baptized on 28 January 1753, Johann Georg, baptized on 13 July 1755, Elisabeth, baptized on 7 October 1758, and Johann Heinrich, baptized on 31 January 1762.
The family arrived in Russia on 8 August 1766, and settled in Kutter a year later. They are reported on the Kutter First Settler's List in Family #15.
- Parish records of Spielberg on Archion.de
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010) p. 212
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): p. 479
- Steinberger, Manfred. List of immigrants from Leisenwald to Russia in the year 1766 from Fürst Ysenburg Archive, Büdingen
- Decker, Klaus-Peter. Die Auswanderung von 1766/67 aus der Grafschaft Ysenburg-Büdingen nach Russland: p. 112