Johann Georg Ziegler married Maria Elisabetha Wenz, daughter of Christoph Wenz and Anna Katharina Klee, on 14 March 1755 in the Evangelical (Lutheran) Church in Graben. The bride had been baptized on 9 July 1729 in Graben.
They had four children, each born and baptized in Graben: (1) Christoph (baptized 27 May 1755); (2) Elisabetha (baptized 5 August 1756); (3) Johann Georg (born 31 August 1758, baptized 2 September 1758); and (4) Christina Katharina (born 27 May 1760, baptized 29 May 1760).
The Ziegler family immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein), departing from Altona, Duchy of Holstein, on 29 June 1761 under the leadership of Johann Thomas Gabler. They arrived in the city of Schleswig, Duchy of Schleswig, on 4 July 1761. Johann Georg Ziegler died in Rendsburg on 5 October 1761. His widow, Maria Elisabetha, then married Georg Michael Keller.
All of them are recorded in Denmark until 13 June 1763. They immigrated to Russia, arriving in the Volga German colony of Dobrinka on 15 April 1765. They are reported on the Dobrinka 1767 Census (First Settlers List) in Household #22. The Georg Keller household includes his wife Elisabeth, four of her children from her first marriage (Christoph, age 13; Elisabeth, age 11; Georg, age 9; and Christina, age 7), and their three younger children (Eva, age 5; Rosine, age 3; and Johann Heinrich, age 1/2).
Christoph Ziegler is still living in Dobrinka in 1798, and is recorded there on the 1798 Census in Household #12 and Christina Ziegler is reported in Household #75. Johann Georg Ziegler is living in Galka in 1798 and is reported there in Household #12.
- Parish records of Graben (LDS Film No. 1238310) and Family Search indexes of same
- Parish records of Rendsburg-Eckernförde Christkirche on Archion.de
- Danish parish record extractions by Wayne Bonner and Mike Meisinger
- Eichhorn, Alexander; Eichhorn Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen: Steinmeier, 2012): 269, 653, & 665.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 , Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 319.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): pp. 362, 371, 431.