Volga Germans from the villages of Dreispitz, Huck, Norka, Pobochnaya, and Shcherbakovka came to Alberta in the mid-1890s, settling in the Calgary area as well as west of Edmonton in Stony Plain and Glory Hills. Both areas attracted additional immigrants from the Volga in following years, for example, in the vicinity of Trochu, Beiseker, and Duffield. Volga Germans of the Reformed faith also settled in 1897 near Mellowdale in the Barrhead area.
PRIMARY SETTLEMENT AREAS
Bauer, R. A. (1965). One of many. Edmonton, Alberta.
Deutschlander, S., & University of Alberta. Department of Anthropology. (1987). German language transfer in a Lutheran Protestant congregation. University of Alberta.
Heier, E. (1955). A study of the German Lutheran and Catholic immigrants in Canada, formerly residing in Tzarist and Soviet Russia. Vancouver: University of British Columbia.
Michel, M. L. (2015). Usu leut, our people : an historic look at the Germans from Russia living in Bridgeland/Riverside. Calgary: Marlene L. Michel.
Stumpp, K. (1970). Russlanddeutsche Siedlungen in Kanada. Lincoln, Neb.]: [American Historical Society of Germans from Russia].