Johann Michael Berg was born on 7 April 1710 in Spachbrücken, the son of Anton Berg and Anna Maria Dönges. Johann Michael married Anna Barbara Netscher on 20 October 1731 in Nieder Modau. Anna Barbara was born 1 September 1708 in Nieder Modau, the daughter of Friedrich Netscher and Maria Katharina Grün. Among their children born in Nieder Modau were: Georg, born 8 November 1744; and Anna Catharina, born 6 March 1748.
The family emigrated to Denmark in 1761. The surname is listed as "Bert" in the Eichhorn book. They were last recorded in the Danish colonies in 1765.
They left the Danish colonies and migrated to Russia, settling in Balzer. Johann Michael and Anna Barbara are reported on the Balzer First Settler's List in Household #32 (with their surname spelled "Bär"). Georg married Maria Elisabetha Heckman, and this couple is reported in Household #33. Anna Catharina married Johann Michael Heckman and this couple is reported in Household #27.
In the 1798 Census of Balzer, Michael Heckman and Katharina Berg are reported in Household #068. The movement tables in the 1798 Census report that Georg Berg and his family moved to Stahl-am-Tarlyk.
- Parish records of Nieder Modau, Family Search film #1347154
- Kohl, Gunnar and Helmut Ramge. Familienbuch Spachbrücken (Darmstadt: Deutsche Ortssippenbücher, 2001): Vol. 1, pp. 29-30
- Online OFB for Rohrbach
- Online OFB for Spachbrücken
- Eichhorn, Alexander; Eichhorn Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): pp. 262 and 350
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): pp. 80-81
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Volume 1, p. 264; Volume 2, pp. 961 and 1065.