Hans Adam Heckmann (son of Christoph and Eva Catharina Heckmann) married Anna Margaretha Schallenberger on 22 January 1745 in Reihen, Baden. Anna Margaretha had been baptized 9 May 1727 in Reihen, the daughter of Hans Georg and Anna Maria Schallenberger. The Reihen parish records report the baptisms of nine children: Maria Elisabetha, born 13 May 1746; Johann Michael, born 26 May 1748; Anna (Maria) Barbara, born 2 January 1751; Johann Georg, born 3 April 1753 (died 31 July 1753); Johann Bernard, born 2 July 1754 (died 1 February 1755); Johannes, born 2 January 1756 (died 30 January 1757); Jacob, born 1 February 1757 (died 31 August 1757); Johannes, born 29 January 1759; and Anna Margaretha, born 11 September 1761.
The family emigrated to Denmark in 1762. While in the Danish colonies, Hans Adam and Anna Margaretha had a daughter Rosina Margaretha, born 8 May 1764 in Gross Solt, Denmark. Their daughter Anna Margaretha died on 21 February 1764 in Gross Solt.
In 1765 they left the Danish colonies and migrated to Russia. Hans Adam is reported on the Balzer First Settler's List in Household #25 with his wife and son. Johann Michael married Anna Maria Catharina Berg and this couple along with their daughter is reported in Household #27. Maria Elisabetha married Johann Georg Berg, and this couple is reported in Household #33. Anna (Maria) Barbara married Jacob Klein, and this couple is reported in Household #36.
In the 1798 Census of Balzer, Jacob Klein and Barbara Heckman are reported in Household #067, and Michael Heckman and Katharina Berg are reported in Household #068.
The Klein and Berg families were also part of the emigration first to Denmark and then to Balzer. The Klein family research cane be found here, and the Berg family research can be found here.
- Parish records of Reihen (Sinsheim), Family Search film #1,189,140
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga - Heckman
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga - Klein
- Eichhorn, Alexander; Eichhorn Jacob & Mary. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): pp. 307, 436, & 661
- Danish parish record extractions by Wayne Bonner and Mike Meisinger
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): pp. 78-81
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Volume 1, p. 264