Alt-Kana, Canaan, Cana, Canova, Kana, Kanaan, Kanovskaya Commune, Kanowo, Konov
Kana in the North Caucasus was founded in 1844 by colonists from the Volga German colony of Kaneau. From archival documents, however, it appears that there were Volga German resettlers there as early as 1829.
Kana belonged to the Pyatigorsk-Karras Lutheran Parish. Most colonists there were Lutheran, but there were several Baptist families in the colony.
A church was built there in 1881.
Arndt, Becker, Beltz, Belger, Bohl, Wuckert, Götz, Grauberg, Gross, Haupt, Gradwohl, Hafner, Herdt, Hergert, Giegle, Walter, Wagner, Weber, Weisheim, Winter, Weitzel, Klehmann, Kling, Klaus, Krämer, Kindsvater, Leiderer, Messerle, Maier, Müller, Metz, Mohr, Neiwert, Paul, Pister, Reichert, Riffel, Rutt, Rosberg, Reitke, Reinhard, Savas, Seifert, Seider, Tempel, Taved, Esse, Steinmetz, Stangel, Schläger, Schillberg, Stancke, Schwartz, Schreiner, Schuller, Fast, Zimmermann, Urbach, Eckert, Elsasser
*Of whom 1,117 were German.
**Of whom 976 were German.
Posted to the wolgadeutsche.net blogs, a lot of documents relating to Kana are available at the Vladikavkaz Archives [Link]
Germans in Russia. Encyclopedic Dictionary (2006): 163-164.