Johann Heinrich Dietz (son of Jacob Dietz) was born 14 February 1697 in Sellnrod. Anna Elisabetha Pepler (daughter of Johannes Pepler) was baptized 17 December 1710 in Helpershain. The couple married on 8 February 1731 and had the following children in Sellnrod: Johann Martin, born 3 January 1732; Elisabeth, born 28 August 1734; Conrad, born 18 December 1736; Susanna Elisabeth, born 23 September 1737; Johann Hartmann, born 3 February 1741; Johann Jacob, born 30 September 1744; and Anna Sophia born 25 February 1747. The family also included a son Johann Conrad, born approximately 1748, whose baptism is not noted in the Sellnrod Familienbuch. Johann Heinrich Dietz died in Sellnrod on 13 April 1752.
Johann Martin Dietz and Anna Krämer married 30 July 1762 in Sellnrod. This couple had two children in Sellnrod: Johann Peter, born 5 September 1762; and Anna Elizabeth, born 21 April 1765.
Johann Jacob Dietz, his brother Johann Conrad, sister Elisabeth, and mother Anna Elisabetha, along with his brother Johann Martin Dietz and his family, arrived in Russia on 13 September 1766. They settled in Walter. Johann Conrad is reported as a single man in Walter First Settlers List Household #66. Johann Jacob Dietz and his wife are reported in Household #68. Johann Martin Dietz and his wife and daughter are reported in Household #93.
There was a Jacob Dietz whose widow Elisabeth Becker and children were in Kolb on the 1798 Census. This family is reported in Household #33 on both the 1798 and 1811 Kolb Census. It is likely that this Jacob Dietz was the son of Johann Martin Dietz. There were also numerous Dietz families who moved to Brunnental after that village was established in 1857.
The Rohn settler in Walter also came from Sellnrod. The published translation of the Walter First Settlers List incorrectly states that both families came from "Zell-Romrod".
- Parish records of Sellnrod, FHL Film #1201577
- Parish records of Stumpertenrod (including Eckmannshain, Helpershain, and Köddingen) on Archion.de
- Stahnke, Günter. Online Ortsfamilienbuch for Sellnrod, posted on the Verein für Computergenealogie e.V. (CompGen) web site: Johann Heinrich Dietz family
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): p. 398
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): pp. 310, 316
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Volume 1, p. 611
- Koretnikov, Mila, translator and Kevin Rupp, editor. 1811 34 Colonies in Russia Village Census Records (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2021): p. 177