Volga German immigrants first arrived in Fresno in 1886. Over the years, immigrants arrived from Anton, Bangert, Gnadendorf, Jost, Kautz, Kukkus, Laub, Lauwe, Neu-Schilling, Shcherbakovka, Stahl am Karaman, Stahl am Tarlyk, and Warenburg. By 1920, the Volga German population in and around Fresno had grown to 8,000.
VOLGA GERMAN CONGREGATIONS
St. Paul's Lutheran
Wartburg Lutheran Church
Zion Congregational Church
- Germantown, Fresno (Fresno, CA: City of Fresno, Planning and Development Department, 2006).
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 215.
- "The Religious History of the Germans-Russians in the USA." California District Council Report (Fall 2003): 6-7.