Wauseon was first settled along the newly laid Michigan Southern Air Railway in 1853. It was named after the native chief, Wauseon, who once lived in the county. Because of the railroad, the village soon grew larger than the county seat Ottokee, and took over as county seat in 1869.
In 1886, a group of Volga German immigrants from Dönhof settled in Wauseon in northwestern Ohio.
VOLGA GERMAN CONGREGATIONS
Trinity Lutheran Church
VOLGA GERMAN FAMILIES
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Wauseon:
Sallet, Richard. Russian-German Settlement in the United States(Fargo, ND: North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, 1974): 57.