The town was originally named Grand Lake. When the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad came to Grand Lake in 1888, the railroad superintendent, G.W. Holdrege, wanted to change it to a simple one-word name closer to the beginning of the alphabet, which he thought would be better for business. He picked "Alliance" for the new name of the town. It was incorporated as a city in 1891.
Many Volga German families moved to Alliance to work for the railroad.
VOLGA GERMAN CONGREGATIONS
VOLGA GERMAN FAMILIES
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Alliance:
Bastron / Bostron
Hein from Frank
Pauli / Pauly
Weitzel from Frank