Milliken has its beginnings as the community of Hillsboro which was organized in 1905. In 1908, a town called Milliken (named in honor of Judge John David Milliken, the President of the Northwestern Land and Iron Company) was established right next to Hillsboro, and on 1 October 1910, Hillsboro was annexed by Milliken. Volga German families came to the area to work in the sugar beet industry. They settled in and around Milliken.
VOLGA GERMAN CONGREGATIONS
A Brief History of the Town (Milliken Historical Society)