Trinity Lutheran

Original Location

NE Williams & Graham
Portland, Oregon

Second Location

106 NE Ivy
(NE Rodney & Ivy)
Portland, Oregon

Current Location

5520 NE Killingsworth St.
Portland, Oregon


Lutheran missionary The Reverend Edward Doering arrived in Portland during the summer of 1881.  He had been born in Saxony (Germany) on 12 June 1852.  Rev. Doering founded Zion Lutheran Church on the west side of the Willamette River in downtown Portland in 1889 and Trinity Lutheran the following year.  The new congregation was called "Trinity German Evangelical Lutheran Church of Albina."  The following men were elected provisional officers: Ernest F. Kümpel, Alfred Kräft, George Rupprecht, elders; H. C. Schröder, treasurer; H. E. Dittrich, secretary.  Many early church members were from the colonies of Brunnental and Neu-Hussenbach.

The first building was constructed in 1891 at the corner of NE Williams & Graham.  In 1919, the congregation built a new facility at the corner of NE Rodney & Ivy.  In 1989, a new facility was dedicated 5520 NE Killingsworth St. The former Trinity Lutheran at NE Rodney & Ivy eventually became home to the Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church.  This building was destroyed by fire on 6 February 2007.

Trinity Lutheran Church is a member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.


1891-1893 J.W. Theiss
1893-1897 J.H. Witte
1897-1901 Theodore Fleckenstein
1901-1906 William Luessenhop
1906-1942 J.A. Rimbach
1942-1961 E.O. Eichmann
1961-1973 Theodore Teyler
1973-1976 Robert Zimmerman
1976-1990 Richard Gross
1990- Mark Hoelter



The Volga Germans in Portland (Steve Schreiber)

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and School Centennial Anniversary booklet, 1990, Portland, Oregon.