The unincorporated community of Dubuque is located on the border of Barton and Russell Counties. It was Polish immigrants who settled the area following the Civil War. Volga Germans settled in the area shortly thereafter, coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa.
St. Catherine's Catholic Church was built there in the 1870s and served primarily the early Polish immigrants and their descendatns. The current structure was built in 1901, and remains a functioning parish. There is also a Catholic cemetery across the road from the church.
Immanuel Lutheran Church was constructed three miles north of the Catholic church, and most of the Volga Germans in the area attended there. A school was also built near the Lutheran Church. Only the cemetery remains across the road from the ruins of the Lutheran Church.
VOLGA GERMAN CONGREGATIONS
Immanuel Lutheran Church
St. Catherine's Catholic Church
VOLGA GERMAN FAMILIES
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Dubuque:
Anschutz from Nieder-Monjou