Catharine was founded 8 April 1876 by a group of Volga German immigrants who had arrived the previous fall in Topeka. The original settlers included the following families (with the total number of people in each family in parentesis):
Justus Bissing (7)
Friedrich Karlin (4)
Peter Karlin (3)
Jacob Karlin (3)
Friedrick Koerner (10)
They were joined on 27 July 1876 by another group of families from Katharinenstadt:
John Karlin (5)
Friedrich Meis (2)
Mrs. Meis, widow (8)
Andrew Schmidt (2)
Jacob Schmidt (5)
John Schmidt (3)
Peter Schmidt (4)
Mrs. Schueler, widow (3)
Mrs. A. Schuetz, widow (7)
Henry Staab (5)
Karl Staab (5)
August Walter (5)
Friedrich Walter (8)
Jacob Walter (4)
Jacob Welz (3)
On 26 September 1876, another group of immigrants arrived in Catharine:
Jacob J. Staab
Sometime in November they were followed by the following families:
Karl Karlin (6) from Katharinenstadt
Leonard Mittelmeier (5) from Katharinenstadt
Jacob Meier (12) from Louis
Henry Paul (4) from Louis
Michael Peters (4) from Louis
John Giebler (3) from Ober-Monjou
In August 1877, two additional families arrived:
In July 1878, another group arrived:
Jacob Mueller Jr.
The final group of early settlers arrived in November 1878:
From 1878-1883, the Volga Germans in Catharine were joined by several Moravian families from Austria.
VOLGA GERMAN PARISH
At Home in Ellis County, Kansas: 1867-1992. Hays, KS: Ellis County Historical Society, 1991.
Appelhanz, Isadore. The Volga-Germans in Topeka, Kansas, 1875-85. Topeka: privately published, 1992.
Laing, Francis S. "German-Russian Settlements in Ellis County, Kansas." Kansas Historical Collections 11 (1910), 489-528. [Online]
Transcript of The Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements of Ellis and Rush Counties, Kansas, 1926.