312 NE Freeman Avenue
Topeka, KS 66616
Sacred Heart Parish grew out of the St. Joseph Parish which had been established in 1887. As St. Joseph's membership continued to grow and many parishners began to settle some distance to the east in Topeka's Oakland neighborhood, the need for another parish was discussed. In 1917, Father Henry set up a committee to raise funds for the building of a church. Bishop Ward appointed Father George Eckert as pastor to the new parish, called Sacred Heart, in May of 1919. The first Mass for the new Sacred Heart Parish was held on 1 April 1920 in Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. A combined church-school building was dedicated in May 1921 with the church located on the first floor, and the second and third floors used for school purposes. Later, the third floor was converted into living quarters for the teaching sisters.
The Flood of 1951 damaged the basement of the facility. In February 1966, construction was begun on a new separate church building. This construction effort was interrupted by a tornado in June 1966 which also damaged the homes of many parishners. The new building was completed and dedicated on 25 June 1967. The former church-school building continues to serve as a parish school. The school of Our Lady of Guadalupe also merged with that of Sacred Heart.
Sacred Heart is now part of a dual facility parish in conjunction with St. Joseph. It is a part of the Archdioces of Kansas City in Kansas.
The parish of Sacred Heart has been served by the following priests: